Dhaka: West Indies allrounder Andre Russell sparkled not a little as Khulna Royal Bengals beat Dhaka Gladiators by 19 runs in the third match of the Bangladesh Premier League at the Shere Bangla National Stadium on Saturday.
Electing to bat first, captain Shakib Al Hasan top-scored with 42 off 31 balls, while Dwayne Smith and Russell chipped in with 37 each to take the Royal Bengals to a formidable total of 175/5.
In the Gladiators’ chase, Kent’s Darren Stevens and Caribbean all-rounder Kieron Pollard did their best with 38 and 39 not out respectively but it was not enough as they could only go as far as 156/7 in their 20 overs.
Russell was the pick of the Royal Bengals bowlers with figures of 4 for 35. With the win the Royal Bengals bagged two points and lie third in the table after the first round of matches in the 6-team tournament.
- Bangladesh Premier League – 3rd Match
- Match played at Shere Bangla National Stadium, Mirpur
- Khulna Royal Bengals 175/5 (20/20 ov)
- Dhaka Gladiators 156/7 (20.0/20 ov)
- Khulna Royal Bengals won by 19 runs
- Khulna innings: Shakib Al Hasan 42 (31), Dwayne Smith 37 (31), Andre Russell 37* (15), Azhar Mahmood 4-0-20-2
- Dhaka innings: Kieron Pollard 39* (32), Darren Stevens 38 (32), Andre Russell 4-0-35-4, Shakib-Al-Hasan 4-0-25-1